Thursday, November 10, 2005

Shiver Me Timbers!

Argh! I auditioned for the role of a female pirate today. How fun!

I got the call yesterday right before I got rejected for the infomercial. They were looking for a redhead to play a historical figure on a television series. Her name was Anne Bonny - a real firecracker of a pirate. They needed to hear an Irish accent.

I'm from the South. I can "ya'll" and drawl with the best of 'em, but Irish? (People assume that I'm of Irish descent because I have red hair; it's actually the German and the viking genes that cause it.) So I pulled out my Arthur Lessac book on the human voice and another book on accents and began a careful study of the specifics of Irish and the colloquialisms of this character's home. I spent an hour at the computer working through the sounds, then I cooked dinner while reading aloud using the accent. I figured I had it well enough for a first audition.

I went in today and gave it my all. I don't know what the outcome of the audition will be. I think I'd make a great pirate because I grew up around bikers and drinkers. But I had a great win doing an intensive study of this accent and nailing it in the audition. I thought it would be a lot harder than it was. Isn't that the way with most things?

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home