Friday, December 23, 2005

Freaks & Geeks

I'd heard lots of references to the defunct NBC show "Freaks & Geeks" and how great it was. In fact, I saw an ad for it on a recent dvd rental. I saw part of an episode one night when I was sick at home, but my schedule never matched up with the erratic and everchanging schedule of the show after that one night.

So I devoured the first of six dvds tonight. OMG! It's an amazing show. A lot of programs have awkward pilots where the characters are still a little two dimensional and haven't really found their footing. Sometimes the writing can be forced since the show has no history to reference. Not this show. "Freaks & Geeks" was a winner from the start. The main characters were really well-developed, and the supporting cast was amazing. There's plenty of drama in each episode, but it's not Barbie Doll drama*. Even the bad seeds are sympathetic. All of the characters are really well-rounded.

If you get the chance, check out "Freaks & Geeks." Dare I say, it's better than "Dawson's Creek," and I was a rabid "Dawson's Creek" fan for most of the series.


*Barbie Doll drama: The plots like those that develop when playing with Barbies, i.e., "I don't know if he likes me," "You stole my boyfriend," "Let's take the Malibu to the Barbie Dance Club and make brunette Ken jealous." Andrew uses this term all the time.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home