Friday, January 13, 2006

Yin and Yang

There's an interesting dynamic that I've observed in the theatre. In a pair of people, say producer and director or artistic director and technical director, one is sane and rational while the other is a bit more emotional. After having studied kung fu, I've learned about yin and yang. It's totally applicable here.

You can't have one without the other. The yin is the soft, the yang is the hard. Yin is feminine, yang is masculine. But you can't observe something as yin or yang unless you have its counterpart.

Andrew and I operate like yin and yang when we do a project together. It's funny that I just now observed it. But it's not like one of us possesses the traits of yin and the other the traits of yang all the time. It just depends on what's happening. Three nights ago, I was the co-producer who was starting to get anxious about the show going off well while he was the director saying it would all be fine and don't worry about it. He was yin and I was yang. Then two nights ago I was the co-producer who felt like the show was really close to being ready to be seen while he was worried and angry about the rehearsal. That night I got to be yin. Then last night I was a bit concerned and he was confident and sanguine. Tonight I was comfortable with how things were going and he was on edge. It's just gone back and forth, both of us switching off as yin or yang.

What's funny is that we'll colide in the middle when the first show is done and we've collected the box office. Neither of us will be yin or yang anymore. We'll just be the line in between the two.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home