Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Why I Love Blogging - Post #101

(I think I have more posts than Andrew but he's been blogging a couple months more than me. And I thought HE was chatty!)

I'd like to reflect on the beauty of blogging.

With such a large family and a lot of friends and acquaintances, I found myself answering the same questions in every phone call and every email -- the "What've you been up to?" question and all of its variations. While I love to talk, I'd forget who I told what story and some stories weren't as fun for me to tell as others. I figured a blog would be a great way for them to catch up on the ins and outs of my life in the big city, and it would save my voice on days when I might wind up telling the same story fifteen times.

This doesn't mean that I hate phone calls and emails. This means that people can read my blog and decide what they'd like to communicate about with me. This keeps them from getting bored with stories that may be interesting to me (like bra shopping at Target and getting a bikini wax) but may not be interesting to them. They can skim over my blog and decide not to read about some of the events in my life. They don't have to sit on the phone while I yammer on, all the while they're wondering what's on PBS tonight. It's easier for them to pick and choose the parts of my life that they want to know more about. Some people are more interested in the industry aspect, others are more interested in the personal stuff. I don't have to outline everything I've done for the past several months every time some long-lost buddy resurfaces. (I do love hearing from long-lost buddies, by the way.)

Another great thing about blogging is that it's a great way for me to communicate about my experiences without worrying about offending someone in conversation. You read my blog knowing that you can always leave the page. It's not so easy to leave a conversation where someone has an opposing viewpoint. I'm a Scientologist, a Republican, a heterosexual who has been married since I was seventeen years old. I'm a Southern girl with the mouth of a pirate who believes in past lives. If any of these things would offend someone in polite conversation, they can find out my viewpoint on my blog and WE DON'T HAVE TO DISCUSS IT. I prefer to spend the time communicating with individuals about constructive things (or laughing about that one time we almost got expelled from college for putting asbestos warning stickers all over the campus or the time my dad made "swamp soup"). I wish more people would blog so I could find out the subjects I may want to avoid with them -- i.e., Bozo hotdogs, cheesy horror films, soy milk (how can they call it milk if it doesn't come from a teat?).

I also love the ranting aspect. I can rant and other people can rant safely and without running up a cell phone bill. Pissed off about the way someone's treating you at work? Blog it. Family member put on psychiatric drugs so she doesn't experience any emotion when her father abandons the family? Blog it. (By the way, this REALLY pisses me off. It reminds me of "The State" when Doug talks to his dad about being sent to grandma's to learn pinochle and be made bland.) Sick of politics? Blog it.

I think everyone should blog. It reduces the demand for repetitive tale-telling. It's a great way to share what you know and what you've seen and done. It's even a great way to avoid work. I know Garrick would agree. :)

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home