Friday, April 14, 2006

New Media (or "I've Been Living Under a Rock")

My sister's soon-to-be ex-husband is this kid who's totally into computers and online gaming. I guess he's pretty good at it. He knows the language, which convinces me that he's an expert.

He made this fun little movie documenting his adventures with another player. His character is wearing this invisible cloak so you can't see him, but you can see the bullets flying from his gun. He downloaded video clips of their game playing and edited them together to tell this story of what it's like to be a "cloaker." Next time he plans to add a soundtrack.

I grew up with an Atari 2600. When I was a preteen, I'd go to my friend Missy's house and we'd play Super Mario Brothers on her Nintendo. It was exciting back then just to be able to pause the game so you could go to the kitchen to get some chips. It was phenomenal when you could save where you were on the game so you could return to the same level when you came back to play later. And now you can play simultaneously with people all across the universe, download clips of what you did and put together short films.

Wow. And I was happy just to have a Ms. Pac Man gamestick at home.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home