Sunday, May 28, 2006

Vanity

You have to be a little bit vain (at least) to be an actor. A lot of the work is all about how you look. If you aren't at least a little into how you look, you may be keeping yourself from getting work. As you may recall from an earlier posting, one girl got bumped from her role and another one got her role all because of a look thing. This is the reason I'm doing this special diet (down eight pounds since I started last week on Tuesday) -- so I can book younger (and maybe even sexier) roles.

It is to this end that I went under the knife three weeks ago. No, I did not get a boob job. I got three moles removed on my face. I got another one removed a few years ago, but I just recently had the money to complete the job. Don't get me wrong -- I don't think there's anything wrong with facial moles on other people. I was watching different films and television shows and I saw some women with facial moles. In most cases, you could tell that the makeup artist was trying to cover up the mole so it wasn't so obvious. In most cases, the mole cast a shadow on the face. I thought about it, and I don't want to have to work past the mole to get a role. I don't want a shadow in my audition to cost me the part. I'd rather lose the part because I'm too short or have a bad attitude than because of a couple of poorly placed moles. Sure, you can get cast if you have shadowy moles (obviously), but getting someone to see past those moles can be tricky.

The dermatologist I saw a couple years ago is very busy. I had to schedule that appointment at least one month in advance, and it cost a pretty penny. I went cheap this time, and I was practically a walk-in patient. I called the day before, got pricing, then went to my appointment at the scheduled time. It was this doctor in Koreatown, just a few blocks from my house. I went in, it was relatively fast and painless. It cost me $150 total for three moles and the office visit. Hooray! I figured it would cost at least $500 since I had three moles I wanted removed.

I had to treat the open wounds with ointment. I put bandages over them for my infomercial class and my first day back in the office, just so I didn't get ointment all over. That was back when my lip was busted so I looked really terrible. Now I just have three pink spots on my face where the moles once were. I'm treating them with ointment and vitamin E so they heal.

Dieting and surgery. Welcome to the world of actors.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home