Saturday, June 10, 2006

Belly Dancing!

I took my first belly dancing class today. I didn't want to lose the muscle I gained doing Flirty Girls and Aphrodite, so I'm taking belly dancing and pilates at Soma.

I was surprised that there were so few people there. We spent a lot of time warming up and stretching, but it's necessary when you're working parts of the body you don't usually work. We did rib, hip and shoulder isolations. We also shimmied and kicked, and we worked with veils (a great workout for the arms). I had a lot of fun and I'll be returning next week.

One of the most memorable things about this experience was something the teacher, Jamilla, said. She said it's going to feel awkward (and it did most of the time) and we're going to feel like we don't look good in the beginning (true), but it takes training in technique to really learn a fine art so you can put it all together and improvise. It takes time to look good and natural when you're learning a new skill. SO TRUE! I feel that in some of the other classes I've taken (dance, fitness, martial arts, etc.) I was expected to be perfect and know exactly how my body was supposed to move in the first class. This was different. She also said that everyone's body is different and moves differently so don't desire looking like someone else while dancing. We each have our own assets that others may not have, and we have to learn to accentuate those assets and draw attention to those. That's a good metaphor for the industry.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home