Sunday, July 16, 2006

Making With Makeup

I've been on set for these major productions enough times to know I really need long-lasting makeup. I also know that if I want any shot at getting my face on camera, I need to look perfect. I can't get away with the mineral makeup I wear on a daily basis because I really have to cover up any little blemishes and the pink scar still healing from one of the moles I had removed. My brother knows some makeup artists, so he asked for their recommendations. That's how I found out about M.A.C. Cosmetics.

I went to the store at Hollywood & Highland (which I think we labeled the pre-teen mall). I started looking through their various foundations in search of the perfect shade when a Keira Knightley look-alike came over to help me. I told her I was looking for something long-lasting with great coverage for a long day on set. She sat me down and tried out some cream foundation that dries matte. Even though this stuff is normally applied with a sponge, she used a brush -- less wasteful of the product and it buffs better. The shade was perfect, and it wasn't the shade I originally tested on my wrist. She also put some concealer on me and gave me her recommendations since she works as a professional makeup artist. She said this stuff can wash one out so I should use some bronzer for a little more color. Then she powdered me and blushed me. All I needed were lips and eyes and I would've had a complete pro makeup job for free. What was really cool was that there was a gaggle of preteens who came in wanting to get a pro makeup application that Mommy was going to pay for, but they were all booked up for the rest of the day. I really lucked out.

I bought the fancy foundation and a concealer pencil. This stuff is sort of expensive, but comparable to my mineral makeup. I spent about $45 total on these two things. If I had more money to burn, I would've gotten a lot more makeup. The store was cool, the makeup artist was really helpful, and I really liked the product. Since my call time is 6:30 AM tomorrow, I figured I'd try applying it myself today, like a trial run. It went on just as quickly as my mineral makeup, and the coverage was way better. This is some good stuff. I highly recommend it for anyone who goes on camera, even dudes.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home