Saturday, July 15, 2006

My First Trip to a Comedy Club

I've never been to a comedy club before. I used to watch "Evening at the Improv" when I was growing up, but I never had an overwhelming desire to go to a comedy club to hear standup. On TV there were too many "So I got my period" jokes, so I didn't want to pay to hear about how terrible someone's menstrual cycle was. Of course, if Andrew and I want people to come see our plays, we need to go see other people's shows. And this show featured our friend, Ron Yavnieli.

I love Ron. He's hilarious, and he's the nicest guy. He's an awesome animator and a great puppeteer. The show was at the HaHa Cafe in North Hollywood. There was a $10 cover charge for each of us and a $10 minimum purchase per person (which wound up costing us almost $20 a piece). There were some great comics (like Ron) and some terrible comics.

The thing I realized is that standup is really tough. You've really got to listen and respond to your audience. There was one guy who didn't listen to the audience at all. He totally bombed. I wouldn't want to do it, but I know some funny people who would be great at it. And if the jokes don't go over well, you have to pick up and move on. But comedy clubs are brutal.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home