Friday, October 13, 2006

Now I Think I'm a Writer

Okay, I'm really not a writer. I take that back. I'm a writer, not a writer. I'm condescending, self-centered and overbearing and I constantly correct the spelling and grammar mistakes of other people, but I'm not a writer.

I've written plays and poems and even song lyrics, but this is my first time writing a novel. I'm participating in National Novel Writing Month, but I'm doing it a month early. As poor artists, we have one computer at home so I'm writing my book the month before the contest. The goal is to write a 50,000 word novel in a month. I'm at about 19,000 words.

Writing a novel is great discipline. Actually, it's not necessarily the writing that gives one discipline. One of the temps at my office is "writing a novel." I suggested she participate in NaNoWriMo for fun since she's already a writer and she said, "I don't need a month to write the rest of my book in, I just need a deadline." That makes no sense to me, but hey, I'm not a writer. I'm just a jackass writing a book.

So back to the discipline. I have the book that goes along with the contest so I know the daily word count expectations. I have to get my writing done so I spend less time on the couch watching reruns of sitcoms that were popular in 1998. I also have to continue providing content or the book won't get done.

I had the idea of writing about a zombie prosititute. That's all I had when I started the month. I sat down to my computer nearly two weeks ago and I didn't know what to say so I just started typing. I wrote 5000 words that day. By not having every little thing worked out in my head before I started, I've had all sorts of freedom to take the story in directions I never could've dreamed, and I imagine it will turn out better than if I had been obsessive about how things HAD to go.

What's superfly is that at the end of October, I'll have a 50,000+ word novel. It will be readable and entertaining and I hope it's never taught in English classes because I want people to actually read it and not pretend they read it just to pass a class. I can always edit the thing and polish it up later.

Andrew is writing in November in the actual contest. I hope you join the fun. I look forward to reading as many crappy but original novels as my pals produce.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home