Tuesday, April 10, 2007

The Big Bra Adventure: Part Three

Last week I attached the cotton webbing as straps on my belly dance bra. They aren't the most comfortable things in the world, but I'm also used to having a lot more stretch in my bra straps. I think next time I'll buy a convertible bra, stitch the straps in place and cover them. Of course, it's too late to change that now. This bra isn't too bad.

Last night I covered the straps with the fabric I got on sale at JoAnn's Fabrics. The fabric I selected has glittery designs glued to it, so pieces of glitter get all over the place as I work. I think I filled part of my sewing machine with the tiny black pieces as I stitched the fabric to the straps. I left some of the cotton webbing exposed on the inside to help prevent skin irritation from the glitter and to help the straps grip my skin. I didn't cut the fabric to fit the bra sides and straps. Instead, I machine stitched one end of a scrap adjacent to the underwire. Then I pinned the fabric along the length of the side and strap. I stitched the top down, trimmed the fabric on the top and bottom of the strap on that side, then stitched the bottom. I also stitched the end of the cotton webbing so it wouldn't fray.

I also took some time machine stitching my skirt. I have to insert a zipper but the zipper foot for the machine got lost in some move or another. I'll have to pick up a new one. It's a bias-cut skirt (made without a pattern) with leg slits. We'll see how it turns out. If it totally sucks, I can always cut a hip belt from the fabric and buy a skirt.

The next step is to cover the cups with fabric, attach the other end of the halter strap and put a fastener on the back straps. I may also create some coverage for the side of my boobs and the cleavage so I don't heave so much after these alterations.

Labels: ,

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home