Thursday, May 10, 2007

Affordable Entertainment

As an actor/dancer/singer/musician/now choreographer, I need to see lots of shows. I watch plenty of movies and some television, but I need to see more live entertainment. There's a different energy with live entertainment, most of what I do is live entertainment, and I need to support friends in live entertainment so they continue to support me.

The biggest problem I have with seeing all these live shows (besides concerts) is the cost. I don't want to pay more than I would for a DVD box set for me and Andrew to see a show that's really disappointing. We paid a chunk of cash at Thanksgiving last year to see a professional show and we walked away very disappointed by the show. We've paid the door charge at a comedy club to see a hilarious friend of ours, but the overall expense with the required food and beverage purchase plus tax and tip was overwhelming. If I can get a good deal on some aspect of the event (food discount, cheap tickets, etc.), I enjoy it a lot more.

I'd heard people come to the box office at my theatre company and mention that they bought their tickets through Goldstar. When I first priced The Super Sexy Show with the Hollywood Pin Up Girls, tickets were $20 through the venue. When I checked Goldstar, I got tickets for $13.50 each ($10 ticket, $3.50 service charge). Those cheap tickets made it a lot easier for me to make the required food and beverage purchase at the venue without cringing. We have to see two plays with puppets as research. Both shows are listed on Goldstar. This makes it more affordable for us to support fellow artists and what other people are doing.

There are Goldstar events across the country. You can check by major city or by zip code and see what's available in your area.

Labels: ,

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home