Monday, May 07, 2007

From Auditionee to Auditioner

I spent a chunk of my weekend in auditions for my theatre company's upcoming production of A Midsummer Night's Dream. I'm usually the person coming in to audition and asking if I can go early. This time I was behind the table with the stage manager and director. That's my privilege as choreographer.

I wasn't sure what to prepare for auditioners for the movement part of the audition. Fortunately, the director had "existential fairy movement" for folks to do with some instrumental pieces. I joined them on stage for the movement so I got a great workout. It was all very organic and everyone seemed willing to play along. That was nice. It's interesting to see how people interpret the music, especially when you tell them not to dance.

We didn't have a reader available for Sunday's auditions so I got to play Puck, Oberon, Helena, Lysander, Demetrius, and probably some other blokes. I spent most of the day reading male roles. It was a great being the reader because I was going just as cold as some of the auditioners for some of the scenes. I had to tackle the language and find the point of each speech pretty quick. Sometimes I did well, other times I missed the boat and realized it part of the way through. That was fun and educational. I think every actor should serve as a reader at least once.

We figured out most of the roles when we finished auditions yesterday. There are still a few more people we have to see and a few more roles we have to solidify. There were a few people who would work in a number of roles but they have to be positioned against the other people who are cast and the vision for the show. Some of the decisions we made could potentially be changed depending on what we see this week. Of course, I don't think I'll be playing Demetrius even though I got that role down by the end of Sunday.

Labels: , ,

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home