Monday, June 25, 2007

Actor Rehab

(I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea here. This isn't about overcoming substance addiction as an artist. There are places that do that and do that well. This is about recovering from past acting teachers and acting classes.)

Yesterday was my second day of school. I really dig my acting class. After the second day, I still look forward to it. We had two different teachers yesterday, but both were great. We did character studies and drills so that we can become any character in under a second.

I'm a big fan of drilling. As a dancer, I drill basics and tricks. I have to drill them so I don't hurt myself. And the beautiful thing about drilling is that you know you can use the skill no matter what comes up. We did various drills over a few hours so we can gain this skill. There's no judgment, no critiquing -- just an acknowledgment that you did the drill. This environment is so safe for learning and experimenting. (Of course, I can't tell you the specifics of the drills. Everything is copyrighted and I wouldn't want the steps to get misinterpreted and used to harm actors.)

There are things in the first tier of classes for actors at any level. You get out of it what you put into it. It's also a great class for writers, directors, dancers, singers and puppeteers. I highly endorse this class.

Labels: ,

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home