Saturday, June 30, 2007

Drop-In

Now that my neck isn't in so much pain (thanks to all the well wishers), I have to get my body moving. I've developed a fairly active lifestyle over the past year, and I feel like I neglect my body if I don't give it interesting activities to stay in shape. I had too much pain to swing around a pole Thursday night and I haven't made it to tissu or Pilates all week due to my neck issues. Last night I did Princess Farhana's Bellydance Basic Workout DVD in my living room, paying special attention to my neck and shoulders so they didn't get overworked. It just made me hungry for more.

Most dance studios offer "drop-in" classes. This means you don't have to buy a package and commit yourself to a specific schedule. You can just show up, pay for a class, take it and leave. I like the idea of drop-in classes because I'm a very busy girl. I also like the idea because it's a chance to try something new and different without committing yourself to a teacher, studio or style you may not like. Drop-in classes usually cost a couple bucks more than a package of classes (per class), but the convenience and freedom can really be worth it.

So today I'm taking the plunge. I did a drop-in class at one studio with my friend Lois. Fun, but I like more structure in a dance class. I'm going to try a completely different teacher today without the safety net of my dance pals. We'll see how it goes. I'm doing an absolute beginner class with a new teacher so I can see where I'd fit and make sure I'm not rusty or missing any basics. I plan to take my sisters-in-law to try out the class with me next week, and I should know what I'm getting into before I drag them along.

Labels:

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home