Sunday, June 17, 2007

Enlightenment

I've taken a few years off from scene study. Many of the classes are filled with students who raise their hands under the pretense of asking questions who just want to comment on or complain about something you did in the scene. The performance standard becomes what the teacher likes, even if you interpret the scene a different way. Sometimes you're told not to bother bringing in the things you really want to do. Oh, and some classes have the pressure that the class is the most important thing in your life so you become so focused on class that you neglect the acting career that you entered acting class to improve. These are the main reasons I took a couple years away from scene study and started doing plays instead.

There has been one teacher whose presence in my life has really forwarded my career. Specifically, when I take classes with him I feel like I actually have permission to be myself and do my thing. I'm so free as an actor when I study with him that I book work, get agents and have general acting awesomeness. It is Christopher Smith of whom I speak. He and a few others have launched an acting school in Hollywood called The Acting Center.

I have to admit that I was excited to go to class today. I love Christopher. His style of teaching really communicates to me. I landed in the Sunday afternoon class since my weeknights are booked up with rehearsals and dance classes. There were maybe thirty students in the class, but everyone gets up and participates in every class. Some of the exercises were familiar, others were completely new.

Today's class was incredible. If you've ever wanted to hone your craft, take this class. The first level is only eight weeks -- not month after month after month of huge expense. It's amazing.

Labels: ,

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home