Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Little Seamstress


I was asked by a friend the other day how long I've been sewing. I started hand sewing Forever 21-style clothing for my Barbies when I was seven (meaning they'd fall apart after one wearing). I started using the machine for a Girl Scout badge when I was nine. I was making dolls and stuffed toys when I was 12. I turned a jacket into a bra when I was 13 or 14. I even did work study in the costume shop at school I have a few years of experience.

Of course, with all of my experience, there are a lot of things I don't know how to do or can't do yet. I took a few years off from sewing and now am back at it with great gusto. I made the dress I'm wearing in the photo in a matter of days. (Also pictured are Scarlett Letter and Olivia D'Helion. Scarlett hand sews all of her costumes.) I also made the blue dress I wear in my Stepford wife number.

So what's next for this little seamstress? More projects to stretch and increase my skills. I have to finish a "cupcake" dress with 14 yards of tulle in the skirt. I'm also finishing another costume where I'm sewing all the underbits instead of gluing them. Then it's onto some vintage patterns to see what I can learn from those. I've also learned the only way to really understand the method behind the pattern madness is to duplicate the instructions exactly as written and not bypass a single step. I can make up my own rules later.

Labels:

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home