Sunday, August 02, 2009

How I Roll

As you may know from previous posts, I believe acting is just that -- acting. It's not therapy. It's not a change to dig up your personal bullshit and air it out in front of an audience. It's time to pretend, to put oneself in the shoes of the character and say the words the playwright has provided.

I had an experience this week with a director who rolls with the other school. I'm willing to experience different directing styles. I'm not cool with a director asking me to use past upsets to fuel my performance. I'm also not cool with a director asking what I would do if my dog was beheaded in front of me. What the hell does that have to do with the play we're rehearsing?

I'm an adult. I don't have to put up with this kind of thing. So I said something. Several things, actually. I managed to explain how I roll without invalidating the director (just saying his method doesn't work for me). I got my point across and didn't have to walk from the production with artistic differences. And I made it okay for another actor to pretend and leave the personal bullshit where it belongs.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home