Monday, October 26, 2009

Sugar Crash

You know that sugar high feeling?  I had that over the past week as an artist.  I danced a private gig a Saturday ago.  I danced Monday and Wednesday night at two local shows after leaving tech rehearsals for the play we opened Saturday.


I'm going to take a moment to talk about the show I just opened Saturday before I continue listing out the awesome stuff that happened this week for me as an artist.  I'm so fortunate to be part of a theatre company that nurtures playwrights.  The writer and director, Jacob Smith, I cast as Sonny in Tracing Sonny earlier this year.  I absolutely loved working with him.  His directing style is similar to my own so I feel very comfortable with him.  This is a wonderful show and I hope everyone who reads my blog in the So Cal area can make it to see the show.  More info is available here.


Friday nights after Landscaping the Den of Saints, you can see our latest anthology -- Tales of an Unsettled City: Exodus.  Our actors are so talented and several of the pieces were written by our own writers.  I wrote one of the pieces.  It was fantastic seeing it come to life.  I was in tears watching my show.  You'd have to see it to understand.


Friday night was our soft opening for Landscaping the Den of Saints.  There's a chunk of the play where I'm not onstage since it is an ensemble piece.  I spent that chunk writing a short play for The Artist's Nightmare, the second installment in our 24-hour play festival series.  I was given a topic, a cast breakdown (1 man, 1 woman) and I set to typing.  My play was hilarious, perfectly cast and perfectly directed.  I laughed so hard I was coughing.  These 24-hour play festivals are great sprints for writers, directors and actors.  I love that I was able to write for it.

So today I'm back in the real world after some intense creation.  I'm making aprons and pasties and trolling online for work.  I'm going back to my dance classes and home life activities.  I do feel like I've had a sugar crash, but I know life will return to normal after a few more days.

Labels: ,

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home