Wednesday, January 13, 2010

What Am I Doing?

I found myself in a discussion about acting last night.  I don't talk about acting so much these days as I did when I started this blog in '05.  I still act sometimes, but I make more money as a dancer and have a lot more creative freedom as a dancer.

Truth be told, I don't know what to do next as an actor.  I'm almost 34.  I'm at that stage in life where I don't want to try to fit in with the other adults playing college students.  I also don't want to hang around 22 year-olds on set whose lives are so hard because Mommy and Daddy are paying the rent and car payments and gave them a monthly credit card limit for clothes shopping.  I like working with adults.  The problem is that I'm perhaps too mature for young adult and too young-looking for parental roles.  So I keep spending my $10 a month on a casting website I only remember I subscribe to when they run my card, thinking that maybe I'll submit for something if there's something right for me.  I'll act in plays from time to time, but I don't like committing six weekends of my life to something that doesn't pay.  I've missed out on paid work when I've done plays.

So what happens now for me as an actress?  I'm not shelling out the money to join the union until I have a reason to think I'll make that money back within the year.  I have too many friends who are in unions who never get paid work, and it's not because of their talent.  I don't see acting paying for the lifestyle to which I'm accustomed in a short period of time.

I guess for now I'll work in an office and keep on dancing.

Labels: ,

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home